What can be more painful than having germs eating your teeth. A teeth ache is no less than a feeling of soreness. Tooth coloured filling helps in eradicating such a problem. It includes three ways of removing the germs- composite fillings, glass lonomer materials and porcelain materials. There are advantages and disadvantages to all the three processes.
It is also termed as plastic or white fillings. This kind of the filling depends on the position of the teeth. If the back teeth are affected, the filling process won’t help. We bite down hard on our back molar, so plastic filling may not be the appropriate way to fix the issue.
- Advantages: The filling colour is same that of the teeth and it cost less than the gold ones. They can be done in one appointment as they are they are direct fillings.
- Disadvantages: They tend to break easily than the old fillings. Composite filing cost more than amalgam fillings.
These are hard and brittle and the most common type of dental ceramic used by the dentists. Porcelain and metal combine to make a strong, tooth-coloured crown
- Advantages: It lasts for a long period of time, and the dental porcelain is the same color as the teeth color
- Disadvantages: ceramics are not a good choice for the molar teethes. Fillings can break in that case. They cost more than other types of fillings and need at least two appointments as they are indirect fillings.
Glass Lonomer Materials
There is doubt about the effectiveness of this kind of filings. Glass Ionomer is used only where you do not bite hard. Newer forms of filings seem to be more long lasting and strong.
- Advantages: they cost less than gold and are of the same colour as the natural teeth. It is done by one appointment as they are direct filings. Primarily, the fluoride contain helps to stop the recurrent decay of teeth.
- Disadvantage: they cost more than amalgam fillings. They are not strong and will not last as others.